Maple Computing

Friday, February 7, 2014

This, that, and other things


So yea, it's been another week. I've finally been able to go rockclimbing again since the weather has gotten a bit better and that's pretty awesome. I try to get myself to go once or twice a week, but with the recent snow I've been unable to drive myself to go (Curse my small car). Either way now that I'm able to go I have to balance my schedule even more. It seems that I'm always doing homework or studying or something to do with school, and even then I forget things. Like just this week I forgot to do a reading for one class because I was doing a reading for another class and studying for a test in another. Hell, it's no joke when they say engineers have no time for social lives, but it works out in the end. You have to put the hard work in now to get the future you want later. Also, as far as classes go I'm relatively enjoying all of them, no bad classes yet. The only one I forsee issues with is Discrete Math, and possibly Circuits because I just can't understand the teacher for the life of me. However, because I enjoy the classes it will be a bit easier to stay on track.


In other news, my laptop decided to corrupt itself earlier this week and I've just recently revived it. I decided to go with a Linux Mint installation along-side a Windows 7 installation so that I could use it for all my classes. Linux because its quick and I'm able to use it within my Unix class of course, and Windows because a couple of my classes such as Microcontrollers and Circuits require me to run software that only runs under a Windows machine. I'm just finishing up the Windows installation as I type this and all seems to be going well. It should be up and running for classes next week so that I can finally go back to digital note taking. Anyways, it's been a long day and I still need to get up at ~7:00 tomorrow to get on campus, so until next time, this is my blog, posting, thing.

2 comments:

  1. The software used in microcontrollers for the slides isn't really necessary since they are posted in .pdf form as well. MP software runs in linux. PSpice I guess only does run in windoge but there are good open source alternatives out there!

    Good luck rockclimbing in this snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Chris, what's the deal with your laptop? I'm actually interested in running Linux Mint on my own laptop as my choice of distro, so would you recommend it? I've heard that it's a pretty good one for new Linux users, and I sure fit that category. I feel like it would sure help with 2524 as well. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete