Maple Computing

Friday, January 31, 2014

First Post of 2014


So here it is, my first post of 2014. Haven't posted on here since senior year of High School but hopefully that will change soon. SO I've been reading This book The Art of Unix Programming and so far it's been pretty good. It starts off talking about the Unix culture and how it has an "n associated design philosophy transmitted across generations of engineers". This is interesting to read as I believe that the culture behind a topic is almost as important as the topic itself. It is important for something to have a strong following and helpful base if it is to survive throughout the years. It is also important to have a strong culture in order to draw new people into it, to again keep it alive. I hope to discuss this aspect of Unix a bit more in my class, and if not then I hope to read about it in the future. The first chapter of the mentioned book also gives a brief overview of what Open Source is and how Unix is flexible and provides an environment to learn "good design principles and development methods" as stated in the text. Unix has paved the way for some features we see in our operating systems today, which is also stated in the text. It is a great environment to learn these skills in and I would recommend it to any C (or even other language) programmer.

3 comments:

  1. This post contains no content of any worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this post, I reminiscence High School, as we blogged for our class. Unix is an interesting topic, where hopefully it would be great to use for future usage in our lives. There are multiple aspects of the Unix programming that would create interesting ideas, where in the text, there was many great topics. I to hope to discuss more about Unix as a whole.

    ReplyDelete